Tuesday, April 23, 2013

SCD

I have never truly realized how indefinite my disease was until these last few days.

I ate a lot of almonds this last weekend and it was not the best idea. I was passing chewed up almonds just straight. It didn't feel good coming out either. I had the same experiences from a year and half ago. I have to keep telling myself "everything in moderation."

Since January I have been on this new diet that has had many positive reviews for curing Crohn's and other digestive diseases. I read the book Breaking the Vicious Cycle by Elaine Gottschall. It is like the SCD bible if you will. It explains in a pretty scientific way how sugars are the root of all evil in bodies like mine and wreak havoc in the intestine. So basically I can only have sugars that derive from fruits. No table sugar, no grains, not lactose like milk, ice cream and soft cheeses. I also can't have starchy things like potatoes and that family of vegetables. Now please don't take this as medical advice if your looking into this diet I am here simply to tell my story not lead anyone else's journey.

There are a whole mess of things that I can not enjoy anymore. And by the way it really sucks! I miss pizza, hummus, waffles, bacon, popcorn, bloodmarys and BEER!! etc. I am on the Paleo diet taken to the next level. There is a link here that goes into very great detail as to what I can and can not have.

http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/legal/listing/

I have had to adapt the the new diet and make many changes. Once I started we threw away anything that came in a box. No cereal, crackers, cookies, granola bars ETC. I couldn't eat canned soup or top ramen. I had to make everything from scratch. Home made soups, fresh cut meat not lunch meat pre sliced. I can't eat sandwiches I eat lettuce wraps. In the beginning there is a period of time where you can only have homemade chicken soup, eggs, specific juices, homemade yogurt, plain gelatin with juice to flavor or broiled beef or fish. Try that for a few days and see if you can even handle it. Can you say boring.

I can't be all negative about it though. I have seen a drastic improvement in my symptoms until I went over board on the almonds this past weekend. I know now that if I just stick to it and really try then in the end I will have great results and I do have the ability to heal myself. Living a healthy life takes work in the world we live in know. I didn't realize that until I got on SCD. We have grown up in a world of convenience where we would rather microwave our meals or better yet drive to Mc Donald's and get our dinner in under a few minutes. Once my eyes have been opened up to all the bad that I was filling my body with I just can't go back to that. Never. I will admit that I do have a slight food problem. I get in these zones where I can't stop eating and other times when nothing seems to satisfy me expect the thought of eating a double cheese burger but then again I have a life long disease. I have been given the keys to the outcome of my future. Me going back to the way I ate before is like me driving off a cliff.

I think that this diet has given me a greater perspective of the person that I want to be and how I would want my children to be raised when and if they come later in the future. I want to be healthier, eat better exercise. Get out the house and off the couch. The world is worth living in. I see that kids know this. I watch them outside playing until they are forced inside by their parents.

Some where along the way I lost that. I want to gain that back.

Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment